What do you think of Simon Carter's app PredictBGL?

If you’ve ever used Simon Carter’s app PredictBGL, do tell me what you think of it. Tell me how accurate it is, and whether you believe it’s a help to you, or just another “distraction.” Tell me, in all seriousness, if you believe such tools are helpful, or do they take people’s ability to think for themselves away from them? Be brutally honest. And while you’re at it, tell me how long you’ve had diabetes and what type you have. That’ll give me an idea of how self-reliant you are. And don’t laugh – this is serious! Thanks in advance, it means a lot to me!

I’ve had T1 for 31.5 years. Been pumping for 19. I’ve been using the app for only 2 days. It’s ok. I’m sticking with it for at least a week to see how I like it. But, to be honest, I like mysugr a lot better.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

Just so you know, insulin calculator apps are FDA controlled and this app is not FDA approved for sale in the US. I believe mySugr is FDA approved.

Curly,
I’ve just started using Mysugr - do you use the mysugr pro? Can you tell us the differences with the predict and mysugr? I’m really interested in the advantages of each. Thanks

I use mysugr pro. The biggest difference between the two is mysugr does not “predict” bg’s. But to be totally honest, I like mysugr much better for several reasons. The overall user experience is much friendlier and comfortable. It offers a lot more options for the user to enter. It gives me weekly, monthly and quarterly data that I found me very helpful in fine tuning my basal rates and seeing trends. Also, on the techie side, mysugr is much easier to enter my personal data. It seems like predict app has some areas that need fine tuning. It doesn’t ask for basal rates. So I’m not confident that it can truly predict my numbers.

Hope this helps

3 Likes

Wow @curlysarah, you are making me curious about this mysugr pro…I’ve always thought that "coaching feedback"should be very calculable and, it seems it is!

Thanks a lot that is a big help! (how much does the upgrade pro cost?)

I believe it was either 19.99 or 29.99 for the year. You can contact @Scott_K_Johnson. He’s the mysugr guru.

Thanks for the mention!

The pricing for mySugr Pro is $2.99/month or $27.99/year.

But before we get too far along, I’d like to clear up a few things.

1. We don’t do any insulin calculations in mySugr Logbook. As @Brian_BSC mentioned, doing so without proper approval can get … interesting. mySugr Logbook is registered as a risk class 1 medical device. Doing insulin calculations increases the risk class to another, higher, level (risk class IIb). We’ve received regulatory approval for such a product in Europe and are working on it.

2. Our coaching and feedback is very subtle right now. Colors, fun messages from your diabetes monster, things like that (which you may be surprised to know, is why we filed for regulatory registration, etc). We’ve got some big ideas in the works, but doing it right (according to regulatory processes) is a very careful process. We want to be around for the long-game, which means we will take our time to follow these processes before pushing something out the door.

You may also be surprised to learn a little more about our company. We’re a team of 35 people (the equivalent of about 27 FTE) based in Vienna, Austria with a US office in San Francisco. Almost 1/3 of our team live with T1D. The company is ISO 13485 certified (meaning we follow all required processes and procedures to create medical devices (even “just” software)), and yes, we’re surprise audited regularly (they just show up, unannounced)).

mySugr Logbook was launched in Europe in 2012, and came to the US in 2013. We’re available in 44 countries (and growing, as we gain regulatory approval) and I can’t remember how many different languages (6 or 7?).

I’ve been working with them since the US launch in 2013 and am full time as of February this year.

We work really hard to make the basic version of mySugr Logbook helpful and useful for people, and for many, the free version is all they need. And from our perspective, we’re happy to have you in the mySugr family either way.

Please feel free to let me know if you have questions. I’m happy to chat with you here or privately.

2 Likes

So where is mySugr in the process for getting insulin calculation approved in the US? Are you working on it?

1 Like

Scott, thanks for the clarifications. I was replying to the original message at 5am trying to get Boy Wonder out of bed for football. So, my reply may not have been totally understandable.

I love everything about mysugr and will continue to use it. It helps me stay accountable for my numbers and food while not being a “chore”.

1 Like

I don’t know what the exact plan is at this point. The first step will be to get it launched in EU and start collecting feedback.

I’m also not an expert in the regulatory space of mySugr, so I don’t know what our game plan is.

I’m so glad to hear that, Sarah. Thank you!

To clarify - MySugr does NOT do dose calculations at all. PredictBGL is a dose calculator with prediction. And yes, PredictBGL does include basals if you want them included.