What is in your backup kit and what do you pack/carry it in?

About 2 1/2 weeks ago I tested my BG in the afternoon & got a result of 582. This was unexpected.

My first thought was to wonder if my infusion site had suddenly gone really, really wrong. My second thought was that if the site was bad I’d need to go home to fix it since I don’t carry a replacement set & inserter with me. (It just never seems worth the hassle to me.)

I wasn’t too worried because I was less than a 5 minute drive away from home. I also carry a few 30U syringes in the glove compartment in the dashboard of my car. So I also had the option of disconnecting & drawing a few units from my reservoir for an “emergency” injection bolus.

As it turned out, there was actually nothing wrong with the site. I apparently did not do a proper reconnect to my site after I had disconnected the tubing/pump to shower that AM. I was able to correct my BG with a pump bolus after disconnecting & properly reconnecting my tubing to my Quick-set infusion set site.

But the episode got me pondering & reconsidering if I should carry a somewhat more elaborate emergency kit with me.

I’m still not really sure it is worth the bother. Or maybe just including some alcohol pads to go along with the syringes is all I need to tide me over until I can get home to my stash of supplies. Carrying insulin doesn’t makes much sense to me since I already have a vial of it in the pump reservoir.

Since I am not totally sure about either what I want to carry or, perhaps more importantly, about how to carry/lug it around, I thought I’d ask other people what they do.

So, what do you do? :wink:

-iJohn
T1 LADA since ~1978; first pump Minimed 507 ~1996
presently: Medtronic Paradigm 723 (04/2013) + CGM (11/2014)

Hi, I have an extensive backup kit that I use for any overnight travel or long distance day trips. If the weather is good I will leave it in my car in between trips so it is with me most of the time. I also make sure to cycle out the supplies periodically so the supplies in my backup kit are always fresh. Lugging backup supplies on my person does not seem appealing or convenient. I would also like to hear any ideas that would make it easier to carry some extra gear.

Usually, I carry an extra bottle of test strips and some syringes. When I worked the kind of job that regularly scheduled me 9+ hours and would dock my “attendance points” if I left to go home, I kept everything in my locker - two sites, insulin bottle, syringes, test strips, a CGM sensor, and an additional meter.

I carry a day-pack with me wherever I go. I usually have 1+ vials of insulin in a Frio pack to protect it from overheating and freezing. I also carry 2-3 infusion sets, pump reservoirs, several syringes, and 100-200 test strips. I include one container of 50 glucose tabs, too.

I know this seems like an over-abundant supply for daily excursions. I like to have more than I need for emergency purposes. I live in earthquake prone San Francisco. I could be stuck away from my home supply for 2-3 days if the worst happened. I would hate to be cut off from life sustaining insulin for lack of planning.

1 Like

I carry a small backpack or purse with my everywhere, so it's not a big deal to include a backup kit. I have a little case in my backpack that has the following:

- infusion set
- pump cartrdige
- insulin pen with insulin
- alcohol swabs
- pen needles
- Band-Aids and extra tape/adhesives for infusion sets
- batteries, battery cap, cartridge cap, coin for my pump
- Precision Xtra meter with a few ketone strips and glucose strips (foil wrapped, so flat)
- A few spare lancets
- A few pills like painkillers, antihistamines, etc.

All this fits in the "meter case" that comes with the Bayer meters, which are useless as meter cases but are a perfect size for a little backup kit. I include the meter because there have been numerous times I've forgotten my meter at home, but now that I have the Dexcom I may take it out because not having a meter wouldn't be as big an issue. I have bigger kits that I take with me when I travel and need to bring more supplies.

Part of the reason I have this type of kit is that I use public transit so it's impossible to just pop home if I need something (it would take me two hours to travel from work to home and back) and I don't have a car where I can store things. I also live in an earthquake zone and we are always told that we should be prepared to survive for 72 hours without help if there were ever a big earthquake.

1 Like

I don't carry anything other than some SmartieBeans most places. I work like 15 minutes from my house so if my pump blows up at work, I can always run home and fix it but I haven't really done that very often.

This kit is in addition to the other random medical supplies in my bag (meter kit, rescue inhaler, two epi-pens, eye drops, several tubes of glucose tablets). I think literally half my backpack/purse is filled with medical stuff. :\

Words of advice: Back up your backup.