What to do?

I am very recently diagnosed, 11/09, although I had multiple symptoms for several weeks prior. One was significant vision change. July was my last full eye exam, and there was nothing abnormal, my vision had only changed slightly in two years. I got new glasses, and went happily on my way.

Then, about three weeks before I was diagnosed, my vision drastically changed. I couldn't see well enough to recognise someone across the room. I couldn't read the labels in the grocery store without picking them up. One day I was so frustrated, I just stopped in the middle of the aisle and cried.

I don't know what I was thinking, obviously I wasn't thinking clearly or I would have headed straight back to the eye doctor. But, I didn't. I kept thinking, "This will be gone tomorrow." It got so bad that I was afraid to drive without having someone else in the car.

Then at diagnosis, the doctor ordered me to go back to my eye doctor the next day. They couldn't fit me in, so I had to wait four days, my vision getting worse and stranger every day (faces on television kind of looked like they were melting). At the eye exam, I was told my vision was now twice as bad as it was in July. I was also diagnosed with diabetic cataracts, but the Dr. said we wouldn't talk about what to do about them until I got my BG under control.

Since I have worn contacts in the past, he gave me a pair to try out, and told me to get some reading glasses. I don't like wearing the contacts, although they do improve my vision drastically. The reading glasses are 250, and I don't like using them, as without my contacts, I can see to read just fine, it's only my mid/far vision that's gone bad.

Any advice? Similar situations? I have to go back to work tomorrow after having 5 days off after my diagnosis. I'm worried, as on the afternoon of my diagnosis, my boss called me in and gave me a poor evaluation(pre-diagnosis). I've NEVER had a poor evaluation. I was just so emotionally upset because of his myriad of negative comments, I couldn't stop crying.

My job is at stake. Later that evening, my vision was worse, I was constantly exhausted, I had a major yeast infection, I couldn't think clearly, was confused, very stressed. I had uncontrollable thirst, I panicked if I didn't have a water bottle in hand and five to spare nearby. With my job at stake, it finally kicked in that I needed to see a doctor. My doctor's office (multiple doctors), is open nightly until 8, so I got my mom (because I couldn't see to drive, especially at night), and went in. My BG was over 600, my A1C 9.5.

I knew nothing about diabetes. I was so confused, and mostly worried about my job. My BG is now averaging about 400 give or take, 500 once in a while, I'm eating properly (as far as I know), and am on Metformin. Tomorrow I have to go back to work. I haven't seen my boss since Tuesday night, when he lambasted me with my poor performance. He doesn't know about my diagnosis (no one does other than my immediate family and all of you). I'm wondering if the stress from that incident could have elevated myBG levels? I am so worried I can't sleep.

I don't know what to do about trying to explain all this to him. He is not sympathetic. He doesn't much like me. He's actually kind of hostile. In fact, I was written up a couple of weeks ago for "forgetting" to complete a task that he thinks was of very high importance, I differ with that. When I was written up I was in the throughs of untreated D, so exhausted that I actually fell asleep driving home a few times, and sideswiped a garbage can (no damage, but it scared me half to death). When I got home, I would collapse in the nearest chair and pass out for hours, waking up disoriented, thirsty, confused, and very worried.

When I look back at that time at work, it's kind of a blur. I can't remember things clearly. Please help me in dealing with him tomorrow. What should I tell him? I can't afford to lose my job now, and I don't want to be put on a performance improvement plan, I am putting so much into just doing my job now.

Sorry about the length, and I know this is rambling, but you guys are my only friends at the moment, and I need help. I don't have any coworkers/friends I connect with.

First, understand that diabetes can really impact your moods. So being super emotional is not surprising. That’s not to mention that a diagnosis of diabetes can be darn upsetting in and of itself. So first things first – breathe. Know that this is all stuff you can survive. The tiredness, thirst, and even the eyesight will regulate once you get your diabetes in check. The eyesight was something I struggled with greatly. The metformin effects eyesight too. It has to do with the fluid in the eye effecting the curvature. An over simplified explanation is that diabetes will dehydrate you so treatment causes all kinds of shifting of fluids. It will settle down and your vision will regulate itself.

I recommend that you let HR know about your health situation so it gets documented. I’m not sure this is the right time to talk to your boss about the performance review. Your BG is quite high and I’m certain you would not be at your best in doing so. Better to go to HR, explain the medical situation, and explain that you recognize it may have contributed to your bosses assessment. I think you will feel better that your employer knows the situation. Then, when you are feeling better, you can address the performance issue proactively. For example, perhaps after several weeks of stellar performance, ask to meet with your boss and tell him about taking his review seriously and the steps you have been taking in response. Ask him for suggestions on further improvement. Then when in that positive light, it might be the time to tell him what was happening back at this time.

Right now you have to care about your health first and foremost. Your BG is still way high. Are you seeing an endocrinologist and a certified diabetic educator? They can do far more for you than a family doctor. In the mean time, try to eat well and drink lots of water. Water helps bring down bg.

Stress can also elevate BG, as you thought. Know that you can get control of all of this. You have seen the worst-- you are now going to turn it around to get to good health. You can do this!!!

Oh my poor dear…I’m so sorry to hear of your dilemma. It’s not unheard of for eyesight to go from good to bad seemingly overnight around the time of diagnosis. It’ll get better as your BG stabilizes . . You need to sit down with your employer and explain the situation to him. Better that he knows your performance has been compromised by your undetected diabetes, than he assume that you are simply getting sloppy. Assure him that you’ll be back to your old self as you are gaining control. If it’s easier on you…ask a co-worker to sit in on the discussion. Perhaps a letter from your doctor assuring your employer that your performance as of late was due to your diabetes and blood sugars being elevated…that now, since you are taking medication to lower your blood sugar, things will soon be back to normal. Who knows…your employer may surprise you by being compassionate if not understanding. He may know someone who has D…heck, he may even have it himself!!
I wish I could be there to go with you…but then you might have to hold me back so that I not chew him out :wink:
He can’t fire you for having diabetes…here in Canada, there has been a bill passed to protect people with diabetes in the workforce, I’m sure there is the same or similar in the US. Luv ya…and will pray that all goes well…
linda xxxxx

Oh sweetheart what a time! I don’t know about u or other’s here but stress DOES affect my bs and make them go WAAAAAAAY high. I know u don’t want to but 1st off I would tell that nasty boss what I had & that it had affected my consertration (I was diagnosed 37 years ago at 10 but I can remember most of the stuff ur talking about) Just to say I was a lazy 10 year old 2 weeks b/f getting it was an UNDERSTATEMENT. Like Donna said “diabetes can really impact your moods” Sad but true. I get my feeling hurt at the slightest of things when I’m high (and I’m sure you were high for more weeks that 2) Ugh not saying “Thank You” can sometimes make me cry, after I do something for my kids or g-kids. I’m sorry to be that way but it does

My oldest is a Type 1 too we noticed that with her too when she took Type 1 (a few weeks b/f too) After she got the insulin she was back to herself. u got the meds now so intime ur bs will start dropping too just HANG ON!!! I don’t know about this man but after u explain everything to him if he’s human he will (maybe) get this. High b/s does affect ur vision. Like Linda said tell ur emploryer that ur really slacking work has been due to getting diabetes and if he don’t get it tell him to come over here and WE’LL TELL HIM!!! Good Luck my friend!!!

Wow, this is almost exactly what I went through pre-diagnosis… blurred vision, extreme thirst, I was vomiting at work and feeling awful. But now that you’ve been diagnosed, you will begin to feel better. An endocrinologist is important, if you don’t have one yet.

As for work… that’s totally up to you, whether or not you want to disclose it. At first I was hesitant, but, I started wearing a medical ID bracelet, and it was out there. After I did that, all of my diabetic co-workers (who I didn’t know were diabetic) approached me & we now support each other. If you do decide to disclose it, you’re protected legally.

Since you got the negative review, I do agree with Donna’s comment about how to handle it. You’ve definitely got to address it, especially since you believe your job is at stake. If you are concerned about how your boss is speaking to you, ask for another person… another supervisor… to be in the room when you discuss your review and your plan to make things right. I did that before, and it made a difference.

Good luck… it will get better.

I really don’t have much to add to what everyone has already said. BUT I will stress again how important an endocrinologist is. Without mine I know my sugar levels would be horrendous.
I was dianosed at 13 and I am now closing in on 21.
For a good month before diagnosis I was lazy, slept for lengths up to 16 hours a day, and like you NEVER left without a water bottle and spares in a bag.
When your sugars run as high as yours are right now everything will be a blur. Your body is trying to focus on getting healthy again instead of what you want to work on.
I know you feel like you are rambling but to be honest diabetes kinda does that to all of us. Our sugars are tied very strongly to our emotions and when you feel stressed or even sad or scared your sugars will raise and it will be hard to do anything. BUT everyone here at TuD will be here if you ever need help. I know that I have posted a lot of issues I had and needed help with and I have received a lot of great advice. It is easiest to get and take advice from others who are going through and have been through what you are going through

Prayers going your way today…let me know how it goes.
luv,
your friend linda

pool, it’s my opinion that you should tell your employer too. you’ve gotten some great advice here. these high bgs have to be addressed, and stabilized, and then you will have tons more energy. 400 and 500 are very dangerous numbers. there also is a possibility that you’ve been misdiagnosed as a type 2 and really you are a LADA. please bring up that possibility to your doctor and get the appropriate blood tests to rule this out. can you tell us what sort of work you do? also, I’ve found great advice from a career coach online - here-

http://www.cicoach.com/

she has a specialty in coaching those working with chronic illness. I found her through Twitter.

You have been given really excellent advice by all the people who commented here. You MUST get your BG under control. Once that is achieved you will feel much better and will be able to think clearer. Your body cannot deal with BG in the 400+ and everything in your body goes haywire.
I think you need to tell your boss and bring a Dr’s note too telling him what has been happening to you the past several months. There is a law, the Americans with Disabilities Act, which does not allow your boss to fire you b/c of your Diabetes. We are always here to help you and you can rant to us and we will not think less of you .