Best way to wear your pump while sleeping?

My daughter is 7 yrs old and just got the pump. What is the best way to wear your pump while sleeping and during the day.

At night you can clip her pump to her pj bottoms. Depending on how she usually sleeps you can clip it to the side, the back or the front. During the day it depends what you are wearing. Assuming she usually wears pants, again, the best way is to use the clip and clip it to her pant waist. Skirts or dresses are more complicated. It might be worth it to get a spibelt or tallybelt to put the pump underneath her clothes in various circumstances. But I find I just clip it most of the time. I also like when I’m wearing cargo pants and can just toss it in the pocket.

If you can find PJs with pockets, even better… clip to the inside of the pocket. If you sew, you can sew a baby sock to the waistband and stick it in there, very snug fit.

I strongly recommend lying it besides you in bed,but you might wanna try clipping it to the waist band of the PJs.

as for the day, almost clip it to the waist band all the time,in school I clip it to the band of the skirt,at home to the band of my pants.works for me at least.and what’s even better is when there’s a pocket,but if I’m wearing a low cut skinny jeans I wouldn’t,because they make my waist line look wider :" .

she’ll adapt to it on her own,she can figure it out by herself,try to ask her,is she comfortable with using accessories and such,if so,that pretty much solves it. :slight_smile:

I do not use a pump, sadly, but that is another story. When I used to work as a care assistant with people who needed urinary catheters (you will see where I am going in a moment!), we used to have things called “Dolly Bags” which were basically large bags, big enough to fit a full catheter - home made, and easy to make. The catheter was put in the bag and the bag was attached to the inside of clothing with a large safety pin (a nappy pin, in England, perhaps a diaper pin in US?)

Alternatively, if you are feeling creative, you could sew pockets to house the pump on the inside of clothing, preferably somewhere it will not interfere with movement and not show too much. I do not know how big pumps are these days, but from what I understand they can be as small as a mobile phone so it should not be too difficult.

Good luck with the pump. I wish I could have one!

Before I got my CGM, I used to just let the pump free-float in the bed at night. Some people put it under their pillow. But that also depends on how active you are during sleep! My pump fell out of the bed sometimes, but didn’t budge the infusion set.

Now that I have the CGM, I clip it to my pj bottoms, so it will stay close to the sensor. I’m a side and tummy sleeper, so I put it on the side I’m not sleeping on. I’m also a light sleeper, so I switch it to the other side when I turn over, but I doubt your little one could do that – children are notoriously heavy sleepers! :slight_smile:

During the day, I almost always wear pants or skirts, so simply clip it to the waistband. I also have a dress that has a pocket, and I opened the inside seam of the pocket and run the tubing through the hole, so I can take the pump out of the pocket and put it right back in when I’m done. But I’m also not shy about clipping the pump to the neckline of a dress, and if that’s not possible, I have a leg thing that goes around my upper calf.

For a child, the most important thing, I think, is not to interfere with activity, so maybe a “fanny pack” or some kind of waist-band case might be the best. There are lots of companies which make such items – don’t know any offhand, but I’m sure you can google Insulin Pump Cases.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I ordered the waist belt when I first got my MiniMed pump, use that at night and usually clip the pump on my waist band or put it in the pocket during the day. But when I am active I put it (and the Dex) in the SpiBelt. And here is another link (never ordered from, they just have cool looking stuff) for kids http://www.pumpwearinc.com/index.php
I like the pump in the waist belt at night, I can slide it around for comfort and i do not have to worry when I get out of bed in the middle of the night!

At night, I have always just clipped it to my underwear waistband, and kind of bunched up the leghole so the pump clip attaches from the top of the waistband through the leghole. During the day, I usually just tuck it in my pocket or do the underwear trick again if I am wearing a dress.

I used to clip it to my tank top, but now I have a soft flannel case that I call my “pump pjs”. I just put it next to me, and move it around either in my sleep or a half asleep haze. The soft flannel padded pouch means it’s no big deal if I (or my husband, or my cat) sleep on it.

Pocket or laying it next to you I agree. It’s worked for me many times over.

I use the longer length of tubing, and just let the pump “free float” next to me in bed. I am a side sleeper, but switch from side to side a lot, and I never have any problems with it, since I have the longer tubing. I have also put in under my pillow or in the pillow case, and that works well too. I’ve heard some people put their pump in a little sock just in case it falls off the bed or something. I’ve also had it fall off the side, but it’s never pulled out my infusion set or anything.

Hi Marie,

I wear my pump clipped to a necklace when I am asleep, it keeps it up out of the way so I never end up lying on it no matter what position I am sleeping in.

I toss around a lot and pulled the tubing out a couple times when I was just putting it in my pocket. I had a Spibelt that I bought for my Dexcom during the day so I put my pump in that at night. I did not have problems with pulling the tubes out after I started doing that. They make them for kids also.

http://www.spibelt.com/

After reading the posts about people letting their pump roam free during the night I gave it a try last night and it worked great!

I move and roll around a heck of a lot during the night too, and I didn’t even notice my pump last night…

I usually just clip it onto my pajama pants waist band at night, like many other people do. During the day, though, I don’t like to pump to be so noticeable. I often put the pump in my back pocket and then tuck the tubing into my pants. If i wear a skirt, I wear a “thigh thing” (that’s actually what it’s called…I’m sure you could find it in any of those online diabetes supply sites). It’s basically like a garter that you clip onto your underwear, but it has a pocket for the pump.

It’s my 11 year old daughter’s first night on the pump (MM 523) and she started to let it freefloat, which freaked me out so I made her clip it to her pj’s. I know I have to let her find what works for her, but I’m terrified about the tube kinking or something else happening. Thanks for some great suggestions and for letting me know that freefloating is okay.

Good for you!,It never hurts to give it a try.
And as for the necklace,doesn’t it bug you?,something hanging from your neck and all?

yeah, having it on my necklace was kind of annoying, but it was a lot less annoying than having it clipped anywhere else, plus I roll around a lot when I sleep, but since I never sleep on my front it was never in the way.

moot point anyway, I am a total “free floating” convert, best thing ever :slight_smile:

I wear my old trusted Waist-It at night. I like it for several reasons, it’s soft so no hard clip digging into one, also I have nothing to clip the pump to & this doesn’t need anything else.

I’m nervous about letting the pump float loose in the bed for 2 reasons, first I move around a lot & I’m afraid I would get all tangled up in the tubing, & secondly when I get up to test my BG or go to the toilet I don’t want to have to remember to locate my pump so I don’t get out of bed with it dangling down pulling on the infusion set.

Several companies make night clothes with special pockets for pumps, they have a small hole on the inside for the tubing & fastenings so the pump wont fall out.

The following is a list of web sites I have found that sell pump gear, several have been mentioned here already. If other people know more please add them

Unique Accessories www.uniaccs.com

t&j Design www.tandjdesign.com

Tallygear www.tallygear.com

Spibelt www.spibelt.com

Pumpwear www.pumpwearinc.com

Diabetes Mall www.diabetesnet.com

I wear a camisole with shelf bra and stick it in there.