Carb counting app

Hello everyone. Wanted to ask what is the best app to use for everyday carb counting. I do not need a diary or anything else just a way to look up dining out carb counting or looking up how many carbs everyday use items might have in them. Thanks in advance.

Many of us use Carb Manager app but there are several out there. I like carb manager because it is very quick and easy to use. Has all the basics for each food on 1 page but then you can drill down to look at everything like vitamins, saturated fats, really total nutrition breakdown is there. Many apps have a free trial for the basics and the paid version are not expensive and do a heck of a lot beyond counting and recording carbs

Thanks cj. Appreciate the info. I will take a look at it.

Calorie King or My Fitness Pal.

Firenza,
Thank you. I will check them out.

I have used Fat Secret which I thought was pretty good.

Jim,
Thanks!

1 Like

CalorieKing has a nice database of restaurant foods. You can lookup a restaurant name and from there you can lookup their menu items.

If you are not at a restaurant, you can just enter a food name.

Eric, Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

1 Like

Nutritionix Track (nutritionix.com) is a good tool as well. They have a lot of meals from a lot of restaurants. Plus if you scan a purchased item’s barcode and it does not detect it in their database you can submit it to them by taking pictures of the front and back of the box with the nutritional info on it. My understanding is they have one of the largest databases out there and I know at least one other app I use pulls data from them if it is not in it’s own database. Both the website and the app are decent. I usually just use the app for lookup and not for compiling meals but you can use it for that as well.

Rick, Thank you for the tip. I will take a look. I am not much of logging the info but with carb counting I just want that info to plug into the pump. Thanks again.

I use it for the same reason mostly. The primary app I use does log all the info but I’m pretty much using these to get the carbs, fat and protein totals so I can figure out what to enter on the pump. I know a few off the top of my head the rest don’t stick so I’m always looking them up, scanning a barcode or snapping a screen shot of the nutritional info to use the next time I get that meal is easier than looking it up again. :grin:

I like “Lose It”. I have to count carbs and stick to very low sodium. It lets me include sodium as a key nutrient to track by item, meal, or day. The database is extensive and includes restaurants and bar code scanning. You can add you own items and anything you record is also included in your Favorites. It also pulls in my Fitbit data. The Recipe Builder lets me record ingredients and then divide the results into servings.

Got it. How long have you been diabetic?

Wow. Sounds like you can be thorough with the app. I will take a look at it. Thanks a bunch.

50 years this year. I was diagnosed when I was 2.

On my IPad I use a nutrition app. The app is just that. It is in blue and says Nutrition. I can look anything up. Restaurants, fast food, home cooking, snacks, etc. I just love it.

Ok, Thank you Bonnie. I will look it up.

Doug

I really like FatSecret & Fitness Pal.
Though I don’t use them as often as I did when I was first diagnosed T1 as I’ve unintentionally memorized most of the numbers, i.e., 32 grams for almond milk banana protein smoothie & the rice crackers I like are 3 grams per 2 crackers.

1 Like

Much thanks. Will try it.