Cottage Cheese?!

I’ve eaten the whole thing too. I am kicking myself for letting a $1 coupon on Breakstone expire yesterday. couldn’t get out because of the ice storm.

well if you’re balking at wearing a real cc hat, I can make you one from cotton balls or mini marshmellows - you know I’m crafty.

Please, don’t you think I look goofy enough already?

I like cottage cheese with celery to scoop it up. Celery is a little salty and adds a bit of flavor to each bite. When I’m eating it this way, I also like to stir garlic salt, black pepper and minced garlic in the cottage cheese. Gives it a bit of zest.

Blueberries are good with it too (skip the garlic and pepper…smile…)

My new “thing” is to mush up some sugar-free Jello with a fork and stir it into either cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. It makes something that almost takes the place of sorbet – very low carb and lots of protein while tasting like a treat.

Hey, young lady! See what you’ve missed all your life? Now, add some peaches, or mandarin oranges, or even pineapple slices on top of it, and it makes it really good! You could probably use any kind of fruit with it, for that matter. Check your diet plan to see how much of it you can eat. I used to have a slice of buttered toast with it, too, back when I was a kid. This is one way to eat it; I’m sure you’ll get other ideas. Oh, and check with your local dairy council; they should have some ideas and recipes for you!
Chaplain ET

I bought more cottage cheese today in homage to you. I know that Marie will have the hat designed and made in no time.

My bgs was just 86, not a comfy place for me, I had some cottage cheese and pineapple and sitting pretty at 125 :slight_smile:

Try it with lemon pepper or Mccormick lemon herb seasoning sprinkled liberally!

Hi Emma,
My dtr has Type I and is 9 years old…She loves it plain. I like it with pineapple chunks, peaches, or any other fruit with it…Its great try it…
How old were you when you were Diagnosed…
Pamela

Hey Pamela,
Yes, I’ll be sure to try adding fruit, thanks for your suggestion.
21… I was diagnosed July 16th 2010. So I’m still pretty new to it all. How about your daughter? It’s great that you are using online communities like this to help support her. I know I’m very appreciative for having the support of family. I’m sure that your daughter is too : )

I used to eat it a lot, usually with fruit. Since I was dx’d as a diabetic I need to be careful. I also find it is high in sodium. When I ate it a lot I would chop up veggies like cukes, red peppers and red onions, then add some herbs de provence or hot spices to it. I think now I would rather have a little greek yougurt , it seems to be more filling.

Saag Paner using cottage cheese from 99 cent chef. Very tasty. Not as good as the original, but this quick recipe takes half an hour. 10 ounces of spinach (supposed to use fresh but I used mixture of fresh and PictSweet baby spinach. Remove stems from spinach. Cook, drain and squeeze water out of frozen spinach. chop 1 onion, 3 gloves garlic and saute in pan. Add 8 ounces of whipped cottage cheese. Add 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, salt, pepper and a bit of cayenne pepper. Add fresh spinach, then the cooked spinach. cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Thin to desired consistency if it gets too thick with milk or buttermilk.

Interesting recipe. The cheese used in real Saag Paneer is a simple farmers style cheese. If you put your cottage cheese in a cheese cloth and press it for a while, maybe overnight, you might end up with a result that is much closer to Saag Paneer in a restaurant where the cheese maintains it’s shape and is firmer and drier. I believe that traditionally, Paneer is made from curdled milk, either from buttermilk, an acid or even yogurt. Then you drain and press it as above. Just a thought.

Saag Paneer is much more complicated than this recipe. Of course it is not as good as the original. But it was really tasty, I was surprised. I do think thinning it out with buttermilk or yogurt would make it taste even better; I only had milk on hand. I am going to use this same recipe, leave out the cumin and curry powder and thin it out with a little light cream, making creamed spinach. The cheese is dispursed throughout, rather than the cubes of panir in authentic saag paneer. The other good thing about using all the cottage cheese is that my neice who is not eating much meat these days, can have this with rice and it will be a complete protein. In that case I will have to make it minus the curry. this was so quick and they came back for seconds…