Dexcom Receiver and Phone?

Hi all,

I’m taking a break from my Tslim X2 currently, so I’m on MDI. I liked that when I used the pump, I could chek my Dexcom reading on the pump screen if my phone wasn’t around.

I’m wondering if it would be a good idea to get a Dexcom receiver to have a back up in case something happens to my phone, or I don’t have it around. Do most people on MDI have a receiver, or do you only use your phone for Dexcom readings? Can I purchase a receiver out of pocket? Are they covered by insurance?

I was required to get a receiver when I started on Medicare last year, but it’s still sitting in its unopened box. I figure it’s just going to be another thing I’ll forget to grab when leaving the house.

1 Like

I’ve had a receiver since I first started using Dexcom in 2018 and the receiver was small. With the G6, they changed technology so the old receivers were no longer compatible, and sent me a new and much less friendly one. No more mechanical keys, only a touchpad, so I could no longer silence an alarm by feel with the meter still in my pocket. Deal breaker.

But I still keep it, just in case. My insurance certainly covered it, and I think it was sent to me with my initial G6 order. Did you ever have one? Were I you, I think I’d call Dexcom and see if they’ll just send you one. Their less competent customer service people tend to send out replacement everything when they can’t solve your problem in one phone call.

1 Like

The good thing about the phone ap is that you can just put it on another phone I don’t know how long you would be ok without a phone, if I lost my phone I would get it replaced right away, I also have a couple of old phones in my junk drawer. That way you can log in and it has all your data and you haven’t lost much. Depending on when you lost it. I had controllers on older dexcom systems, but I ruined 2 by getting them wet and I dropped another. The one thing I hated about dexcom was the damn receiver, so I switched to Medtronic cause it gad the sensors integrated to my pump. But now I’m back to dex and tandem.
I also take pump breaks from time to time, but my control is never as good

2 Likes

Good point. I should call Dexcom. I may check if my endo has one at the office as well since they get lots of samples of things.

i agree with Timothy on sticking to the phone app, if you go back to the tandem or omni5, the pump takes the receiver slot, so the dex receiver sounds like a very temporary back up, especially with the g7 around the corner… might want to look into nightscout, xdrip, and a smartwatch…

1 Like

I have a receiver and have pulled it out a few times even though my phone is my primary “receiver”. In the US they require a prescription. The receiver is part of the “CGM system” so it’ll be covered like your sensors and transmitters.

One downside to the receiver is the alarms cannot be disabled so if it has the current transmitter code and is powered up it’ll be honking at you in addition to you phone. The other downside is the receiver, unless your insurance pays 100%, is probable going to be hundreds of dollars. So consider how fast you might be replacing your phone if it is left behind on your tropical island vacation, falls out of your hand on an open air jetway staircase, is Samsung’s latest exploding phone or the Apple Genius walks away with it and comes back with a sad face.

The Dexcom G6 transmitter can connect to the receiver, a mobile device and a pump all at the same time. I skimmed the manual for your pump but it doesn’t look like a practical substitute for the receiver when it isn’t pumping.

2 Likes

I use phone and receiver. One or the other is constantly going off line. And recent started with an app on my Fit Bit watch. The watch I only refer to a night , so I don’t have to fumble try to find my phone on the night stand.

1 Like

The receiver is $5000.00. Can be covered by some pharmacy plans or some dme.

G6 receivers are $449.00 but can be found as low as $239.00.

1 Like

Is that app Glance? That’s what I have on mine, but I’m curious if there are any others.

2 Likes

I use Glance with Fitbit ionic, data from xDrip.

1 Like

I agree with @Luis3. In May 2021 a pharmacy quoted me $456.22 for a G6 receiver.

2 Likes

Costco has for about $200…
Walgreens and Sams Club may have similar price.

2 Likes

I was thinking of the tslim receiver, my error

2 Likes

Xdrip+ can do everything that the Dexcom receiver and apps can- including , if you want to, uploading readings to Dexcom. It’s available for recent Android smartphones and there’s also the Bluejay GTS smartwatch that has XDrip+ embedded and can work directly with the G6 sensor without a phone.

I’ve used Xdrip+ in parallel with my t:slim pump for 11 months. It’s not only solid software, my $29 phone is better able to maintain a connection to the G6 than the Tandem pump or Dexcom receiver.

After using all of the alternatives I can say unequivocally that Xdrip+ is able to do everything that the Tandem app or the Dexcom receiver can do, more and better, except for remote bolus with the t:slim pump.

Unlike the Dexcom and Tandem apps XDrip+ will work on any Android smartphone- and keep working when the phone updates the OS.

So if you want to affordably buy a “Dexcom receiver” out of pocket:

1. Buy the cheapest prepaid Android smartphone you can find at Walmart. You don’t need to activate or maintain cell service; use Wifi to access the internet.
  2. Download the latest release of the Xdrip+ app. [https://xdrip-plus-updates.appspot.com/stable/xdrip-plus-latest.apk]
  3. Follow these instruction to install it. https://xdrip.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install/install/
4 Likes

Awesome!! Thank you for this helpful information!!

That’s a possible plan, as X-Drip doesn’t require cell service. I’ll keep this in mind.

1 Like

I have both, but primarily use the receiver. The receiver fits in the cell phone better than my iphone. I can pull the receiver out with one hand, activate the screen with my thumb and there’s my glucose number. Can’t do that with the iphone.

2 Likes

XDrip has additional screens and summary stats. And customized sounds for alerts. I have a urgent low alarm that is very effective at night. Can get my bg and trend on my fitbit. :grinning:

Also can display estimated A1C on xDrip screen.

I have Tandem pump so also see cgm bg/trend and IOB when I bolus, since I prefer to always bolus from pump.

I have at least 1 dexcom G6 receiver, but only as a backup and cannot use at same time as Tandem pump.

2 Likes