How long type 2?

I was talking to my husband about longevity as a type 2 . I am almost 28 years, how about you? I am usually in good control. No major problems. Eyes have nondiabetic retina issues. Other age related nonurgent issues. Otherwise I am pretty good. How long have you been a type 2? Walking 6,000-7,000 steps a day,pool 3x a week. Nancy50

My mom has had type 2 for over 38 years, close to 90 yo now.

I’m only at 9 years; I’m 56. It started in conjunction with chemo (steroids took me up from about 10 years of pre-diabetes) and I’ve had neuropathy of varying levels in my hands and feet since the beginning. Don’t know which caused it.

37 years for me, and on insulin for 32 years. On a pump for over 18 years. No complications except some non-proliferative retinopathy, which hasn’t worsened for many years. Last A1c was 5.8.

Ruth, congratulations ,you have worked hard. I am 2 years younger than you. Will be 68 in November. I hope someday Medicare will make life easier. Thanks, Nancy

I really can’t say how many years, close to 30 but I’m not sure. At the time I was diagnosed I totally blew it off, not an approach I would recommend.

If my wife asked me about my longevity as a diabetic, I’d be worried she’s looking at options to get rid of me :wink:

Just about 10 years.