I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer

Over the past six months I have posted on this site about abdominal pain that I have been experiencing. There was a lot discussion about celiac disease, gastroparesis, gall bladder issues etc…

On January 9, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. On this same day I underwent surgery to remove the mass. Recovery has been very painful but I am coming around. I have to go under again today to have a port put in place for chemotherapy. As you can imagine, this has been a very rough way to start the new year. I have been told that the disease is very treatable. I am still scared and depressed and very stressedd. Having type 1 diabetes already makes it that much worse. Any support, information that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. - Brian

Brian! I am so sorry! Diabetes is more than enough for anyone, but this on top of it? All I can say is that I am praying that God would give you peace and put people around you that are supportive and understanding and loving. This is the sort of time when you’d like to take a long vacation from diabetes. I hope that the pain will ease and you will be able to rest. I will be praying for you…

Dear Brian.

Please accept my heart felt sympathies. We all know that diabetes alone is a heavy cross to carry. That is good news that the disease is treatable. Take it one day at a time. And try to stay as cheerful as possible to help with the healing.

Best wishes from Siberia. Actually not today, it is nice and sunny, above freezing. We are baking in the Pacific warmt the Siberian cold has gone to Chicago.

We are with you, man!!

Here is a topic that dealt with cancer, diabetes and pumps last year:
http://tudiabetes.com/forum/topics/583967:Topic:206942

Hope it helps.

Brian,

Saddened to hear your news. Am so sorry:( I’d be depressed, scared & stressed, too, who wouldn’t be? Not fair at all.

I’ve known many people with colon cancer & all are doing wonderfully. It is VERY treatable.

Sending all good & positive thoughts your way.

Be strong, be well. We’re all here for you.

Brian, I can not imagine the pain you are experiencing but this I do know. It will pass. You have the support of a generous caring community of people who want nothing more than a swift recovery from your illness.

Brian,

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope the recovery is a smooth and fast one!!!

Ron

Brian, I am so sorry to hear this. I remember very well the discussions about what might be the problem. We will be praying for your speedy recovery, for the doctors to do the right things, you to be comforted and surrounded by love during this time…

I’m sorry to hear that, Brian. I hope things will work out for you

Scott

Brian,
I don’t normally share my faith with just anyone on TuDiabetes, because not everyone here is a believer, and I do not want to offend anyone. Because of your situation, though, I just want to share a tiny bit. The Bible says Jesus is the Great Physician. He is the One who gives your Dr’s the ability to do what they do. I don’t know if your a praying man or not, but I and my family and my church will be praying for you. Be of good courage, Brian. because God will never leave you nor forsake you.

Greetings Brian…thank you for keeping us posted. I am so VERY sorry to hear of the diagnosis…just SO much for you to handle…you are in my heart and in my prayers…and as you have already mentioned…it is very treatable, but I’m sure that it’s nonetheless a roller coaster ride. Stay connected dear friend, and take it a moment at a time…linda in canada.

Brian~
I am sooo sorry!
My prayers go out to you!
Hang in there!

I’m sorry Brian that I don’t have any information to offer you. I just would like you to know that you are in my prayers and I wish you a speedy recovery. I know what it is like to face a terrible diagnosis such as this, mine was liver failure then a transplant. You will be amazed at your strength, I wish you the best!!

Hang in there! You can get through this and you will. Peter

Brian, You will be fine,I have many friends who had the mass removed,treated with chemo and are doing well for all years after treatment.Good spirits and strong faith are the pillars to defeat cancer.We are here for you.Smile,it is another requirement for full recovery.

What a great time to have a community of friends at your side! You are definately in my prayers! Best of luck with recovery!

I am so sorry Brian. My InLaws next door neighbor was diagnosed with Colon Cancer about a year ago. She is very healthy now and has no complications that I know of. We will all be here for you and praying for you.

Brian-- know that we are here and we care!! Please keep us posted on how you are doing!!

Brian:

I’ll pray for you. This news will hit a lot of people to the core. I am so sorry to hear all this…BUT, if they say it’s very treatable then they have reason for optimism and so should you. Peace, love and health … may they all be an enduring part of 2009 and beyond.

Lois La Rose, Milwaukee, WI

Hi Brian,

Once again I realize how insignificant all my anxiety and worry is when I read about what one of my fellow diabetic friends is suffering from.

I have been going through a bit of a bumpy ride as of late, but nothing compares what you are dealing with and I understand how much talking about it helps us.

Please post often and always as we are here for you. As of late I truly believe in prayer, so I will add you to my prayer requests.

Take care and post often.

Karen