Loss of Control

I don’t know what happened! Within a few days of seeing my endocrinologist I started having gastroparesis symptoms. I have been free from that for over a year. I increased my domperidone to 2x a day. My stomach was feeling icky and I can’t eat alot.
I am hoping to get control soon as it has only been 3 days since I increased my meds. Also my heart beats really fast while I am eating. It scares me. Does anyone else have this?

1 Like

Don’t wait if your having unusual cardiac behavior. Go in and see someone today. Better safe than sorry. It was almost a year ago that my best friend dropped dead after none us paid enough attention to symptoms. Its always OK to go in and check it out.

1 Like

The severity of gp symptoms will increase and decrease for no reason at all. For me it isn’t predictable. One day I will feel great and next day feel like sh?t. Fortunately for me the good days outnumber the bad.

I have lived with gastroparesis (GP) symptoms for over six years now. My sense from reading comments online about GP is that my symptoms tend toward the milder side but they’re significant to me.

Last fall I started seeing a naturopath and I’ve followed her recommendations regarding gut health. I now eat vegetable with every meal. She also suggested that I treat any heartburn symptoms with apple cider vinegar (ACV). I was amazed at how this treatment soothed my stomach. I have a history of duodenal ulcers and gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD).

In the beginning of my recent treatment changes, I was taking ACV a few times a day. I’m now down to a few times per week. I was able to stop my heartburn meds (proton pump inhibitor class) and stay off of them. I took my last Nexium dose in October. My stools are more normal and regular now.

I don’t think my GP has been reversed but the symptoms are now much easier to live with than last fall.

Another thing I’ve concentrated on is meditation. I understand that it is soothing to the vegas nerve, the nerve that connects the digestive organs including the stomach, to the brain.

Prior to changing my treatments last fall, I had been monitoring my blood glucose closely. I enjoyed good success controlling my BGs but that wasn’t enough to moderate GP symptoms. Adding the every-meal vegetables and the ACV has made a difference to my health and quality of life.

I realize that everyone’s case is different and we each face our own challenges. I just wanted to share some things that work for me. Good luck.

One last thing. Two weeks ago, I added low-dose naltrexone (LDN) to my treatment. Not sure if it’s helping or not but many people are reporting good things with LDN and Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.

1 Like

I have read alot about meditation and the vagus nerve. I had gp bad a few years ago. Before my symptoms returned I almost thought it was gone. This has happened before when my symptoms came back. I just increased my domperidone to 2 a day, avoided high fat& high fiber and controlled my sugars as best as I can. I am also taking ginger capsules before meals.

Do you find that certain vegetables are easier on your stomach? I’ve been experimenting with adding more vegetables to my diet, but some of them have been harder on my stomach than I realized. Particularly carrots for some reason. I usually never eat carrots, and when I tried some last week, I was surprised to have stomach trouble. Did your naturopath say all vegetables are ok? I realize carrots aren’t low carb so you won’t eat them anyway, but are some vegetables more calming than others?

I don’t find that vegetables bother my stomach. When my gp is acting up I find smaller meals and low fat works best. I try to get up and move after a meal. I recently tore my meniscus ligament so walking is difficult. I also find that chewing gum is supposed to be beneficial. I got control before for a long time I’m sure I can do it again.

My naturopath didn’t make specific vegetable recommendations. Her guidance was to eat some at every meal and a variety of colors is a bonus.

I do generally avoid or limit higher carb veggies like carrots. I haven’t had any difficulties digesting vegetables. I often eat a fresh spinach, broccoli, sweet pepper, mushroom, and tomato salad. I usually make an olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing and find that vinegar calms my stomach. I try to thoroughly chew so that my stomach doesn’t have to work as hard.

I eat a low-carb, high-fat diet so I also enjoy onions, sweet peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes sauteed in avocado oil or ghee, a clarified butter. The onions and sweet peepers carmelize and provide a surprising amount of sweetness. Onions are more on the carby side but my metabolism does ok with them.

We all have different constitutions so we each need to pay attention to our individual bodies. Eating veggies regularly is new to me and I’m enjoying the taste and the digestive benefits from the fiber.

Generally from what I understand from my niece who has Crohns is that well cooked veggies digest a lot easier. She also takes a probiotic.