Need or want to give emotional support? Join us!

Hi everyone, been a little anxious about a more aggressive routine, hypo etc. Talking seems to help, esp. to people who have been there.
I'm 60, diagnosed type 2 for three years, getting aggressive last six months,
Jenna

Hello everyone,

Is there anybody who has or is suffering from the psychological and emotional effects diabetes has had and is willing to make a vote for somebody very amazing to help make her more recognised, so that she can raise awareness of the importance of this area of care. Be very gratful if anybody is happy to cast a vote. If intrested please reply and i will send a link.

Thank you

Hello all thank you for your comments. Is there anybody that could please help recognise a special someone for a diabetes recognition award, to help give the right care and support for people living with psychological and emotional problems caused by diabetes. So please could anyone spare a second of there time to vote for a special lady, that can really make a difference and you vote could change things, thank you. Please contact me back if intrested.

Hello! My name is James, and I’ve been living with type 1 diabetes since December 25 2001. For most of the time that I’ve had diabetes, I haven’t paid as much attention to it as I should have. Over the past few years, however, things have changed. As I’ve become better at managing it, it has become more psychologically taxing. I’ve decided to join this group both for my own well being as well as for the well being of others. We are NOT alone in our struggles!

It is interesting that I received a notice of James' post this week. I have been struggling with a lot of stress and health problems (just the regular kinds, not complications) and had completely forgotten about this group. Sometimes it is just so hard to put oneself as more important than those around us. I live with my son and his family (3 little boys :) ). I love all of them very much, so it is really hard to tell them "I have to take care of my diabetes right now. I will come help when I am through," when you have a baby crying or a 2 year old needing to go potty with help. I put myself in a situation of poor health because I would drop and run instead and then either forget to check glucose or forget to take insulin. You get the idea. And I "thought" that I was going through another defiant phase and blamed myself. However, I discovered that it was just the lack of taking that few minutes I NEEDED first and then going and being there for the family that was the problem. Yes, I was still the one responsible for my problems, but it so much less negative when you blame yourself for not taking care of the simple things; instead of blaming yourself for not taking care of yourself and putting yourself last on the priority list. LOL I'm learning!....Aren't we all? :)

Hello everyone. Funny, I just read skinny type-1's entry, and she perfectly describes exactly what I'm going through: the difficulty 'to put oneself as more important than those around us'. There's a situation in my family which has had me worrying sick - literally: for a month now, my BGs have been around 10-15 (mmol), and I have tried everything to get them down (extra bolus insulin, even went to my GP and he agreed I should increase my basal); but those days when I'm thinking about my family, single-digit BGs are just a dream...
I know this isn't diabetes-related, but it is comforting to realise I'm not alone here... Thanks!

I need lots of support right now. Diagnoses type 2 in 2002. Have done fairly well over the years - started insulin several years ago. Last fall and just this week my Levemir has been increased a total of 4 units, fro 14 to 18. Not much I know, but I just can’t seem to get back to eating properly. Don’t know that I really need suggestions, but some kind of kick in the pants. Any takers? :wink:

Ila, I know how hard it is to get an eating plan in order... just keep an eye on your carbs and keep that as low as you can! It just takes work, my friend, it just takes time too...

Now get to work! :)

Sigh…it’s so hard sometimes. Sometimes we feel so alone in our struggles. I’m so happy that you knew to ask for help. BIG HUGS dear Ila :heart:

Thanks justgeo1. I'm hoping that posting my need for help here will get me back on track. Make me accountable.

I know you can get back on track, my friend! Just keep moving forward and take care of yourself! :)

hi auntie I also have been struggling with diabetes and depression for most of my life over 58 years I take anti-depressants Cymbalta 120 mg sometimes this doesn’t work and the psychological pain is unbearable worse much worse than diabetes I know I shouldn’t but I feel sorry for myself and cry a lot my husband gets me no sympathyI would like to be your friend and we can talk on 2 diabetes

Hi everyone I’m new in the group I’m so glad I found this group I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I’m having a hard time with measuring my glucose. I have a phobia for needles. Do you guys have any tips?

Be sure that you have a sharp lancet. A sharp one doesn’t hurt as much. Also some lancing devices seem to hurt when others don’t. Lancets don’t cost near as much as testing strips, but we seem to not change them as much as we should. And, you don’t have to use the same lancet device as your meter. You can used which ever once suits you best.

Thank you Ila:) what lancet do you use?

I’m using Wavesense right now, but when I reorder I will have to get what the insurance covers. Also, I have several difference lancet holders and found most lancets will fit most lancet holders.

As with most aspects of diabetes, which lancing device you prefer is likely to be a very individual thing. There are a lot of different ones out there and the one that is most comfortable for you is something only you can determine.

Personally I like the Fastclix from Roche. It's adjustable in the range that I like and I really like that it can be operated with one hand and works with just a single click.

I like Fastclix, too. Somehow, it doesn't hurt as much. Also, if you test repeatedly in the same place, you develop calluses, and then it doesn't hurt at all most of the time. It's hard in the beginning, because your fingers really do get sore, but as you develop calluses, it gets much better.

Thank you all for your feedback I really appreciate it:) you’re all awesome!

I was diagnosed with T1D when I was 16. The worst time of a girl's life to stick out. I hated that it ruled my life so I pushed it away after I got married at 19. Now at age 36 my life is in shambles for much of this reason:

I have been on the pump for 16 years. I originally got on it so I could skip meals and not be on an eating schedule. I was tired of diabetes ruling my life. I wanted to be in charge. Quite the opposite happended. I began eating all the time and anything I wanted because I only had to push a button. I am currently 140 lbs. overweight. Very uncommon for a Type 1. I have tried almost every weight loss program available. In fact, I'm trying to have the gastric sleeve procedure now. The surgeon is scared to operate because he's never seen an overweight Type 1. Is it THAT uncommon? Am I that odd? Is anyone else out there having this issue? I've decided to go back to shots and an eating schedule with diabetes ruling my life once again so I can lose the weight and feel healthy.

I'm also on 2 different meds for depression.