New to here

hi I’m new to here well my son is not new to here. but I’m new to here i have 2 type one. my son eric is on here already he ask me to join so here I’m.

5 Likes

Welcome! Glad you’re here! :smile:

Welcome to TuD, Amanda. Feel free to ask anything you want or join any discussions. Look around the forum - there is a lot of information already that might be helpful, as well as many parents of children with diabetes (and other loved ones). I’m a parent, though, I can imagine the challenge of having two Type 1 diabetic kids! There are many here who can offer advice, support, or just a sympathetic ear.

looks like you found me lol or found the site.

2 Likes

Hello, Amanda, from another parent of a Type 1. (I only have one child with T1D, however.) Welcome to the club no one wants to join! You’ve come to the right place; this Forum is a goldmine of information and support. I trust the information I get from this site as much as, if not more than, the advice we receive from my daughter’s endocrinologist. My advice to you:

1. Visit this site at least once daily.
  2. Ask lots of questions.
  3. Get a Dexcom continuous glucose monitor for each of your children with Type 1.
  4. Take it one day, one blood glucose reading at a time. Correct and move on.
  5. Cry when you need to. Scream when you need to.

And remember that someone will always be here for you and your kids!

1 Like

Wecome Amanda. I am sure you will find lots of helpful information on this site.

1 Like

we been trying to get a Dexcom continuous glucose monitor for eric but his endo keep putting it off. & i don’t know what to do about it.

Amanda said:
“we been trying to get a Dexcom continuous glucose monitor for eric but his endo keep putting it off. & i don’t know what to do about it.”

This is what I did. Call the helpful folks at Dexcom directly. Tell them you want your son to start using their amazing CGM. They will ask you a lot of questions, including your son’s insurance info, and they will start the proverbial ball rolling. I did this before I even broached the subject with my daughter’s endo; by the time we saw her, all the necessary paperwork was done, and all she had to do was sign the orders. From start to finish (initial phone call to Dexcom to the CGM on my daughter’s arm) was under 10 days, if memory serves. If we had started with the endo, my daughter would probably be without a CGM today, nearly 2 years after her diagnosis!

2 Likes

i just got off the phone with Dexcom & they are going get everything ready before his new appointment. & that is next month. still can’t believe he will be getting a cgm.he not happy about it. but I’m happy about it.

1 Like

He might not be happy about it now, @Amanda_e but I think he will enjoy the results. I’m older, of course, but even so, I did NOT want a CGM – the idea of having something attached to me, full-time was very unappealing to me! I did agree to a 1-week trial that my insurance required at the time; however, and that changed my mind! Even from just that one week, i learned so much about what was happening throughout the day, that I could use to better control my BG. When the trial ended, I felt “blind” - since I had to rely on finger sticks throughout the day to see what was happening - and there was never enough information. When my Dexcom finally arrived, it was in my house exactly 10 minutes (the instructions said to wait 10 minutes before using the new transmitter) when I’d inserted and started the sensor!

1 Like

That reminds me of receiving a new insulin pump and the company wanted me to wait for an appointment with a trainer before I hooked myself up. At the time I already had over 10 years of wearing a pump. Like you, it didn’t take long to figure out the new gizmo. When the trainer called to make an appointment for the indoctrination session, I just told her that I didn’t want to wait and it wasn’t that complicated.

I got the impression from that trainer that many people, like me, didn’t wait. For me, by the time a new D-device arrives, I’ve already read the user guide a few times.

2 Likes

i keep telling him how this will be better. but he won’t listen.

1 Like

I have to tell you, many of us feel like our diabetes is “ours.” It is really important that we each own our own health. So while you may have the best intentions, I would encourage you to also respect your son’s right to make his own decisions. In the end you can order a Dexcom for him, have it delivered right to his doorstep even pay for it. But in the en,d only your sons decision to wear the Dexcom and apply it to his diabetes will matter. Ultimately it is his decision.

5 Likes

I agree w @Brian_BSC. I seem to remember years ago when her T1D son Caleb was quite young, @Lorraine wanted him on a CGM, and she wondered if she wanted it more than him, for her own peace of mind. In any case, she has been mindful to include Caleb in increasing responsibility and decisions for taking care since he was in preschool.

(her blog about this)

@erice is really new to type1, it’s a lot to take on all at one time.

2 Likes

i know he still really new to type1. but he not the one who stays up most of the night worrying about him. & who worry about him more when he not at home. i just want what is best for him.

2 Likes

I hear you loud and clear, Amanda!

2 Likes

Well, when Caleb was little, he did not want it. At the age of five or six, he could not appreciate its usefulness. To him it was a painful insertion, a cumbersome thing to carry that beeps at inconvenient times - an overall irritant.

It was hard to insist on something that, at the time, I did not consider requisite. So I didn’t insist. Ultimately I did convince him though. He never came out and said - “Golly - Dexcom seems awesome, can I get one?” But he did see how in certain situations it would be helpful and “we gave it a try.”

Today, it’s an essential part of his management. It’s not something we even think about as whether or not to use it, he just does. I understand the lack of appeal it can have. We’ve found it’s improved Caleb’s diabetes management in so many ways, that the net improvement to his quality of life is well worth it.

3 Likes

at 1st he did not want it. but now he wants it. think after everything he look up about he was like this is awesome.

2 Likes