Switching from Omnipod to TSlim X2 today, any tips?

I’ve been on Omnipod almost 3 years, decided to give T-Slim X2 a try. Already using Dexcom, so familiar with CGM and pumping in general. Any tips on X2 specifically, or generic tips about tubed pumps or transition from tubeless to tubed, etc etc would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

The cartridge fill on the X2 is a PITA. Just accept that and move on with the rest of the X2 functionality. You have the ability to run the infusion sites as long as you want. The pump gives a reminder to change but you can ignore it until your insulin runs out. If you have low insulin needs, this could be a long time.

I strongly suggest do not run past 3 days on an infusion site for any reason.

But mostly you just have to try the X2 pump out and play around with it. Reading the entire pump manual cover to cover is a very good idea. I suggest read the manual entirely before using the pump. After using the pump for a month, read the manual again.

Spend some time picking out a decent case to carry the pump in. Probably easier if you typically wear a belt but clearly options are available for times when not wearing a belt. Don’t just stick with the case that comes in the box.

The pump needs to be charged (internal non-replaceable rechargeble battery). It should last 5 days when running in X2/G5 integrated mode or 7 days when running non-integrated (with cgm). Easiest approach is just plug it in when you are in the shower. That usually is all it takes. Carry around one of those portable USB batteries (the ones about the size of a stick of chapstick are very convenient) as backup power source.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the tips, will definitely use them! I thumbed through the manual and it definitely seems a little more involved when it comes to loading it up with insulin compared with OmniPod, or maybe it’s just because these manuals are overly verbose…

Would you mind giving a little more insight on sticking strictly to the 3 days on the infusion site? Issues if you go longer?

For the flexible cannula sets 3 days is the max days recommended. Mainly to prevent infection and also because sites can lose absorption or otherwise fail the longer they are in. Some people use a site for 4-5 days (I’ve even heard a week before), but I can’t get more than 1.5 - 2 days on one before it fails in some way.

My main suggestion would be don’t waste money on the Tandem cases, particularly the clip cases. I went through about 5 of them in less than 6 months, and I am not particularly had on the clips. The clip I used on my old pump (AccuChek Spirit) lasted for years, in fact I used it on 2 pump generations. I think I had to buy maybe one or two new clips over the 17-18 years I used Disetronic/Roche/Accu Chek. I made my own solution from a universal clip for a phone. I will have to look it up later and share what I used as it has been great.

1 Like

Even if you leave a set in longer and you don’t notice any issues, tissue problems of various sorts – lipoatrophy, lipohypertrophy, etc. – can form in the background, as it were. You may not notice right away, but take it from me, you’ll notice the bumps and hollows ten, twenty years later. When I was much younger I used to extend my sites for reasons of convenience and cost; only occasionally was a site visibly irritated or infected. But if I could do it all over again, I’d change every three days.

Also, switching from an Omnipod, in the beginning you may want to be hyper-aware of doorknobs, drawer pulls, desk-chair arms, and other things that lie in wait to snag your tubing. And don’t sleep with your cat.

2 Likes

Thanks, if you have a link to the universal clip and you could share it that would be awesome!

Thanks for the tips-- got X2 connected and hooked up now. Filling it up seems a bit more involved, but looking forward to giving it a shot. I may miss the ominous clicking countdown of the OmniPod before it skewers me!

Will definitely do my best to be aware of not snagging it on anything. And thankfully we have no cats :slight_smile:

So I’ve had the Tslim on for about 5 hours now and it doesn’t seem as though the insulin I’m giving myself is working at all. It’s not leaking, I don’t see any bubbles or anything else obviously wrong.

Update-- actually noticed it was leaking at the insertion site. Was able to swap it out with ease. Thanks again!

@Jason22 - Good thing you noticed the problem with the infusion site.

Which infusion sets are you using?

Also did you still get the older style Luer lock connector as opposed to the newer Tandem t:lock connectors?

Well, when I see all the resevoirs and connectors/locks of the competition, I realize why Medtronic still owns the market with their Paradigm system.

Man when I was younger we had a cat that would love to just walk up, bite my tube in half, and walk away. He would do it so fast I couldn’t even stop it. I got used to stuffing my tube in my pocket and being super cautious if I saw him coming. I’m still super cautious with my tube around my cats now to this day.

I agree with @beacher on this. I’ve been using insulin pumps since the '80s and in the earlier years, I generally swapped out infusion sites at three days but if the site was working well, I would push it to four or five days.

After 15 or 20 years I hit an extended period when my infusion sites regularly failed early. I also had developed some insulin resistance, so this problem came from multiple causes and took me a long time to sort out.

I finally experimented with new infusion sets and moved away from using my abdomen. I found the love handle area above my hips and further around on my back to provide the dependable absorption I sought.

I now place a high priority on changing sites at 72 hours. My Night Scout display keeps track of the cannula age; I find this helpful. Before Night Scout I used the Google calendar and set calendar alarms to provide abundant reminders to change my site.

Good luck with you new pump! I’ve never used Tandem products before, but they do sound interesting.

Spend some time picking out a decent case to carry the pump in. Probably easier if you typically wear a belt but clearly options are available for times when not wearing a belt. Don’t just stick with the case that comes in the box.

I would like to hear more about clip/holder options as well. On my Ping, I used the “slim” metal clip. I liked it because it had a low profile, and was metal, but it loosened up within 2-3 months and i’d have to replace it. The clip/holder the X2 came with seems more robust, but honestly I’d prefer to clip the pump on my belt with the tubing coming out the top, rather than it coming out the side.

My X2 shipped last week, I received the T-Locks with it, and was told by the trainer the old locks are no longer being shipped. Supposedly, Tandem was conceding a large source of revenue to Animas for the the supplies on the insets because they weren’t actually direct selling them, but utilizing unomedicals units (via Animas?). honestly I am not sure how that worked.

FYI to those curious about case solutions: I just posted a new thread in the Insulin Pumps section detailing the solution I used.

One cool option with tandem is you can set an alarm when you get to day 3 and need to change sites. I know just what we need another alarm, but I do find it helpful.

1 Like

Useful alarms that help avoid additional trouble, I find acceptable. We all need to find that balance between usefulness and annoyance. I think this is a desirable feature in a pump, especially if it can be turned on/off and customized by the user.

1 Like

@Tim35 - The shipment came in the mail earlier this week. I glanced on the packaging and instructions but didn’t see reference to one or the other, so I would hope they would have sent me the newer kind. Can’t really tell from outside of the individual packaging.

@displayname - Thanks so much, will check out the other thread!!

@Jason22 - The naming on the infusion set is changed for the tlock versions:

https://www.tandemdiabetes.com/products/infusion-sets/tlock-connector

Thanks-- says “t:90” on the box, so I’m if I understand the chart you sent correctly it’s the older-style.