What are You Doing for World Diabetes Day?

Neither did I until I stumbled across the fact that WDD falls on my dang birthday. I’m happy to still be having birthdays, which I certainly wouldn’t if it hadn’t been for the medical advances of the last 80-some years, but even so, it’s the last thing I want to celebrate on that particular day!

1 Like

I’d say that’s something to celebrate. Happy (early) birthday then!

1 Like

Oops, forgot about the manicure; thanks for reminding me!

WDD = DrBB’s birthday

Just a coincidence? Maybe not…

Happy Birthday. And Happy WDD. Celebrate the fact that you have continued to kick Type 1’s sorry butt for how many years now?

1 Like

My first reaction was “Curse you T1! Must you follow me everywhere!!!” But yeah, it must. DX’d 33 years ago this December. So far no significant complications.

1 Like

I’m going to do some Big Blue Tests at a local community center with a bunch of teenagers! Wish me luck!!

2 Likes

I’ll do as many big blue tests as physically possible. I think I need a blue manicure as well, pictures included.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

are you going to do dance? wishing you luck, but I know you’ll get them fired up!

1 Like

Your birthday is on WDD?

By participating in the WDD twitter chat!

1 Like

Yeah. I found this out last year. Probably read it here on TuD as a matter of fact! Never knew there even was a WDD before that. But look on the bright side: it’s also the birthday of one of my favorite composers, Aaron Copeland, so there’s that…

1 Like

3 Likes

I’m honestly really struggling with WDD. I feel like there is a huge focus on prevention, and as a T2 that makes me feel at fault in the blame/shame game. The official WDD Facebook Page has a lot of posts about about 70% of T2 cases are preventable, and many infographics on the types of foods we should be eating. Here’s where I struggle: I eat a MUCH more restrictive diet than what they are suggesting (whole wheat bread and rice? Doesn’t work for me, at all). I also personally have other factors that have contributed to my diagnosis (PCOS and insulin resistance, family history, etc). I feel like I just can’t identify with this campaign.

Even if I were to “come out” as a T2 not in association with this particular campaign - there is SO much misinformation out there. I know that many of my acquaintances, and maybe even friends, would smugly comment about how I’m paying for it now, and how my poor “lifestyle” choices must have landed me where I am - even though I have always striven to take care of myself.

And yet - I really believe that owning this, and presenting myself as a human face of T2 in the atmosphere of fear mongering, is a really important step in reducing stigma and shame.

Wondering if any of you have similar qualms?

2 Likes

It really does feel like there’s so much blame and shame. I applaud your courage to do what you can

I was just looking at some stuff on “reversing” type2 and came across this great post

and also found this brilliant blog by our former President @askmanny

https://diabeteshandsfoundation.org/lets-come-out-of-the-diabetes-cave-together/

and to quote from our Values statement:
“A note about the different types of diabetes: We believe that no one
with diabetes is responsible for having this condition, and we do not
support debates about “which type is worse” or comments which place
blame on anyone for their condition. The different types of diabetes
have more similarities than differences, and within this community we
focus on our commonalities and the ways in which we can all support one
another as a unified group”

-just wanted to say, glad you’re here with us & we support you!

2 Likes

I’m ashamed to admit that shortly after my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 and I was in the “rabidly angry” stage, I found myself becoming annoyed with PWDs with Type 2. My [completely erroneous] reasoning: Type 2’s could have done something to prevent it, while there was nothing I could have done to prevent my daughter from acquiring Type 1. To every Type 2 out there, including yourhanner, I’d like to extend a very sincere apology. I was an a$$hat, and I’m sorry. All PWDs are MOTs (members of the diabetes tribe) in my book. We need to stick together and be here for each other.

I think PWDs with Type 2 face a different and more difficult path when it comes to the blame/shame game because of the misinformation that is rampant online, in social media, and elsewhere. For the record, I don’t believe that any PWD, whether they are Type 1 or 2 or monogenic can “cure” their diabetes. And I see red (to put it mildly) whenever I see claims that D can be reversed or prevented. Those that make these claims should be tied to a stake in their town square and forcibly educated about diabetes.

5 Likes

Praying to be cured very soon

1 Like

Thanks so much for all of that - it really means a lot to me! I wish that WDD was something I felt included me - though I do very much feel heard on this thread!!

I’m still really debating on this one. I liked the idea of coming out of the cave - and maybe it’s worth facing my fears if my story helps in any small way to combat the misinformation out there.

2 Likes

I despise the term “reversing diabetes.” It’s used a lot with functional medicine practitioners. I think it undermines their credibility. Diabetes symptoms may be reversed but never the underlying physiology.

2 Likes

@mr_Jean_Karkenny we welcome you to our community! You are part of our family.

I think we’re running. Ugh.

1 Like