What is the most ridiculous comment you have heard about diabetes?

Ooh. If I have a choice, could I have the seared pate de fois gras diabetes? Or better yet, how about a nice Krug Clos du Mesnil 2003 diabetes?

5 Likes

Iā€™ll go for the champagne! Someone calling it sugar diabetes really riles me.

1 Like

And itā€™s a much better pairing with the foie gras!

not a comment, but a constant question: ā€œdoes that hurt?ā€ whenever i am pricking my finger in public before giving myself a bolus. of course it hurts! and thatā€™s just the easy part; iā€™ve got my pump in one side of my abdomen and my cgm sensor on the other side. my goodness.

and just a "P.S."
i am T1D for forever. my father still does not understand anything about D; he still offers me ice-cream, cookies, candy, etc. and, he sends me cut out articles from the New York Times about new medications for T2D. what planet is this man on???

1 Like

Iā€™m the father of an adult daughter and also a T1D. Most of society, not just family members, are confused about diabetes. Iā€™ve learned that people, for the most part, pay attention to their immediate world. They only have so much bandwidth and sometimes lose sight of the people (like daughters!) most important to them. Itā€™s the nature of human beings.

A parentā€™s time perspective moves more slowly than a childā€™s. Itā€™s just nature. As a parent, itā€™s easy to revert to an outdated parental role like a protector or provider when more of a peer relationship, as with adult children, is better. I donā€™t know when you received your diabetes diagnosis but it could be that your fatherā€™s reflexive response to you is shifted to a time before you had diabetes, when ice cream, candy, and cookies are associated with an expression of love and affection. It can be awkward for some men to express these feelings well.

Iā€™d be frustrated with the lack of understanding about diabetes that your father expresses, too. Gently remind him of your current reality and you may be surprised at what he can learn over time. Just my two cents as a diabetic, father, and someone that sometimes misses my father!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I used to do as well. During the work week, I have a strict, ā€œno snackingā€ policy to help me control my ā€œDā€ and stay focused on work instead of managing ā€œDā€. However, I guess my co-workers started noticing and soon there were ā€œlow carbā€ options specifically purchased for me. Talk about sticking out even more!

lol. flavoured diabetes.

1 Like

last night my father cooked me dinner. all healthy for me; scallops and sautƩed spinach.
but then he offered me pickled beats, white bread and later, ice cream and cookies. my father is around 86 yrs old; is he sinile or still just ignorant and in denial? i am T1D for over 30 years; youā€™d think heā€™d have gotten it already.

Not a comment made to me, but I canā€™t stand it when people buy me sugar free candy. First of all, the carbs are still there. Second of all (not to use a cliche) my beta cells are dead, not my taste buds.

4 Likes

I think itā€™s really nice they noticed @Khurt_Williams. Our quilting guild has several members each meeting bring snacks & Iā€™ve noticed in the past few years, we get less dessert/coffee cake type stuff & more cheeses and veggie platters. These items are usually the first to go too!

1 Like

ā€œYouā€™re addicted to insulin and should ween yourself off itā€. WOOHOO!!! I did not try to do that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wonder if they can point to the research saying insulin is an addictive drug? :grinning:

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard something like that in the context of intravenous drug abuse. Why shouldnā€™t addicts be administered the drug theyā€™ve become physically dependent on? ā€œAfter all, itā€™s no different than diabetics who need to take shots to stay alive.ā€ Not that Iā€™m unsympathetic to the plight of drug addicts (believe me) but umā€¦ No. Not the same.

3 Likes

Someone actually said that? What ignorance. Well they are right. We are all born addicted to insulin. And oxygen. And water. And food. Imagine what would happen to us if we just kicked those habits.

1 Like

My wifeā€™s family even modified the start of family events that centered around food to accommodate my eating schedule. Because of that, they forever get the right to ask me dumb questions. It means they are listening and learning.

2 Likes

Someone, after having just learned I was T1, said to me ā€œOh, but you donā€™t look sick.ā€ I replied," My BG is 86, so right now Iā€™m not. A couple of hours ago it was 247, so then I was."

That is so descriptive of the chronic illness we share. And thatā€™s a great compliment, ā€œYou donā€™t look sick.ā€ Or, ā€œthatā€™s sickā€ is a compliment you know. Iā€™ve never used it. I sometimes find things people say funny and try to make more obvious the absurdity of a statement by taking the statement to another level or to itā€™s logical progression. @karen57 wrote that a new discussion topic wasnā€™t needed because the words had been said and I put a comment at the end of a post that all words were in the dictionary so any thing written would just be a disordered repetition. I knew that the person was well intended. The fact that I took the comment in a bad light as a rebuke for wanting a conversation says more about me than the other. I excuse my action with, if I take it poorly some others will too and the person should recognise that their original statement was insensitive. But then Iā€™m the one making an insensitive statement. This is an apology that doesnā€™t fix the past but Iā€™m sorry. I do that in person too when I take offence. And of course I become the offender. And a simple statement about being offended is more effective. Thanks for the forum guidelines reminder.

The worst is I had a woman tell me after she found out my daughter was diabeticā€¦ā€œoh my cat is diabetic tooā€. How dare she compare my daughter to her damn cat!

1 Like

Thatā€™s one I have heard too. Why? What? My cat has diabetes. Ssss oooo? Any complications? No I just have to give it a pill the vet told me.

How about a long slow painful death, just like in humans, if it is not treated? As for this magical pill, Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re referring to. The usual treatment these days is Lantus primarily because itā€™s difficult to give a cat an injection multiple times per day. MDI is not feasible since the most pragmatic way I know of to test a catā€™s BG with a meter is to lance an ear.

I have no way of knowing what the people you encountered were like. But when one of my cats became diabetic, I felt woefully inadequate and unable to truly help a creature I truly cared for.

1 Like