You ok?

Hello, @Gentian. Thanks for reaching out. When I first started bouncing, I only did it for a minute or two. My main challenge was gaining confidence in my ability to balance. Then and often now, I just do what’s called the “health bounce” where my feet never leave the mat surface. While this is not a cardio-vascular challenge, I still find it beneficial for balance and believe it helps my lymph system and bone health. Adjust your workout to fit your size and current fitness level. I am a 66-year old man, 5’ 8" tall who weighs 150 pounds.

Don’t push yourself too much, especially in the beginning. Let your body guide you and stop when you feel the need. But then get back on for another minute or two. If you’re like me, you will naturally start to increase your time and effort. Just keep at it.

At this time, I’m jumping about 15-30 minutes at a time and at most 60 minutes per day. I still spend some time at the health bounce level but also jump where my feet leave the mat a few inches and I alternate from left foot to right foot. Check out some of the YouTube videos to get ideas on how you can vary your moves. Don’t be intimidated by the more athletic moves but let them suggest on how you can start to experiment.

I don’t exercise on the rebounder till I’m dripping sweat but I do break a sweat. I definitely don’t subscribe to the “no pain, no gain” work-out ethic. I know a case can be made for that method at times but a lot of benefits can accrue at lower effort levels on the rebounder. And moving at low levels is way better than not moving at all!

Good luck! Exercise is critical for everyone as we go though these difficult times.

Hehehe, not the trampolines again. I am, as usual, gonna warn against trampoline use during this time.

Where you moving to, @LorraineK?

1 Like

Hello, @Terry4, thank-you so much for your long, helpful reply to my query. I meant to answer before, but life seems so busy at present (just back from queuing outside Morrisons).

I am very impressed by the length of time you can bounce! At present I intend to go on using walking and jogging outside as my main forms of aerobic exercise, but I can certainly see the likely benefits of introducing some bounding. My balance is terrible, and also I do have defective lymph drainage in my right leg. I will follow your sage advice and start small, not reproaching myself for only lasting a very few minutes. Indeed, I shall decide on eg 5 minutes beforehand and set my timer. I think in the past I tried too hard to bounce high and fast, and put myself off (just as people often think that to run they have to make like Hussain Bolt).

Very best wishes, Gentian.

PS Rebounding sounds like something we all need to do just now, symbolically if not literally.

At this time when our health care system is under such strain, the last thing you want to do is need to go to the hospital to treat an injury from a fall. Be careful and don’t push yourself. Walking is a wonderful exercise and is often under-appreciated for its physical and mental health benefits. Good luck with staying fit!

1 Like

Hey Mohe…haven’t been around for a while and just now seeing this. I’m trying to move to Nebraska. Given the pandemic, things have been complicated on how to get that completed. Thankfully, the property manager has been extraordinarily patient and kind. We have a few more pieces of documentation needed, and then all I have to do is figure out how to get my furniture, other belongings, cat and myself up there without breaking my bank account. I really think it will help my physical and mental health to return to my rural roots. (thoroughly researched how my helathcare will be provided). Thanks for asking.

1 Like

Cool beans. Barley any flu in NE. However, that means they don’t have isolation procedures in place. I hope that doesn’t cause you any trouble. You driving a UHaul down there? Watch the winds. I’ve seen a number of UHauls off the road during snow storm drives to NE. Fortunately, its summer. (we got a little snow here in MN yesterday, but you should be fine.)

I take it back. Check the wheather…Minnesota Weather: Easter Snowstorm Could See Parts Of Minnesota Getting Double-Digit Snow Totals - CBS Minnesota

So far so good. My wife said in a cheerful tone that we should finish the kitchen before we die so the kids can sell the house. Sounds good to me I like building things and seem to be better than ever except when keen eyesight is needed.

2 Likes

We are getting our deck done. ! He said only accepting outside jobs. I am very excited. Nancy50

2 Likes