Pump logistics for tucked in shirts

Yes, but I forget which one, if it’s even designed for anything specific. It’s one of those cheap imported cases that come in various shapes and sizes, but not likely made to fit any phone in particular. The packaging has phones listed (like the Motorola Razr) which haven’t been around for years…

I usually cut a slit about 1 inch long (just big enough to fit the tubing through) on the upper side of the pocket (It only takes once to learn that putting the cut in the bottom of the pocket is a bad move:). You push the majority of the tubing into your pants, so that limits things getting tangled in it. I imagine if you did a lot of twisting of the pen in your pocket, you might have a problem. I always put a screen protector on my pump screen, so I haven’t had an issue with scratches.

It is easier for me to handle this way than carrying it on a belt clip. I was constantly catching my pump on corners and doors. Carrying in my pocket keeps the pump tighter and closer to my body.

Animas sells a black leather case I believe for the ping. On their estore

My son had the same situation. He goes to a private school and has to wear a uniform that includes a tucked in shirt. He had a belt that we purchased from the Animus website to keep the pump in while he sleeps and he forgot he had it on one morning while getting ready for school and it worked perfectly for him. the pump is in the belt around his waist and he doesn’t have to deal with the tubing with a tucked in shirt. He uses his meter to bolus for his lunch at school, so he doesn’t even need to get his pump out. He loves this pump belt and that is where he keeps his pump not only while he sleeps but all the time. I purchase 3 different kinds of pump belts from the Animus website - one for bed, one for sports, and one that threads through a belt you where with slacks. The only one he likes and the only one he uses is the one we purchased for him to wear to bed. My son has the Animus Ping pump. Hope this helps.

I have a few pairs of Dockers dress pants that have a hidden elastic band… The way the hidden band is set up allows me to slide my pump/tubing underneath the band and into the front pockets making it completely invisible and making the tucked in shirt more comfortable in the process. I think they are either called the Tech Pant or Mobile pant. I want to stress that they look just like normal khakis and don’t have a visible elastic band showing.

My pump changes pockets, I always just have… loose tubing out.

Every now and then a stranger will get STUCK in me… which is always… terrible. Feels so intimate, so I know I should cut holes in my pockets, ALL my pockets of ALL my pants just feels like a lot of… work:)

I have a “pump pocket” which has my keys, change, pump, and a pen. Then i have my phone and headphone pocket. My meter goes in my bag or my back left pocket. Wallet back right:)

Very occasionally my pump will vibrate at me for no reason (which means that a bolus was halfway programmed, but then “timed out”, and cleared). I’ve never had a bolus go through, there are too many confirmation screens for that to happen. The pump doesn’t really get scratched, i use a MM and it’s pretty tough.

I wear mine on my belt. I tuck my shirt in with my pants unbuttoned. After I get the shirt squared away I tuck the tubing into the same side I wear my pump on. At this point I clip the pump on my belt and tuck anymore loose tubing in. The I button my pants and untuck the shirt just a bit. Any tubing that has come out when I untucked the shirt a bit I use my finger to tuck it back in a little. This methos does expose a little tiny bit of tubing but it has NEVER got stuck on anything.

Ditto on the too much stuff in my pockets to put the pump there too. I am quite anal about scratches on my pump so I have always been afraid of wearing it in my pocket.

Does this ever results in kinks in the tubing?

this is how I’ve worn mine for many years, never had a kink in the tubing because of it.

1 Like

I’ve had very little trouble with kinks in the tubing that actually block insulin flow. I have wedged it unintentionally in the hardware of a pump belt clip and stopped insulin flow. I’ve also found if you somehow tie a knot in the tubing, it can be pulled tight enough to block insulin. On the whole, it’s less trouble than you might expect. The choice of material and construction, like a two-layered tube, do a good job of keeping insulin flowing when routed in less than ideal ways.

2 Likes

Maybe a high class solution but I take all my pants to Nordstrom and they see a buttonhole in the pocket for $8

1 Like

I have used a cellphone case as @Scott_E suggested. A word of caution is to not use a case with a magnetic latch. I remove the magnets from the case and then glue a piece of velcro in its place.

1 Like

I’m a self proclaimed seamstress, so am definitely considering doing this for Caleb. I know this is a dumb question, but you have to disconnect to lace this through, yes?

Am I picturing this correctly - your tubing goes down underneath your shirt and then back up and out and over the belt of your pants? I feel really dumb needing this spelled out for me! Thanks for your patience!

This is why I favor long tubing. I use the 43 inch length. Some people prefer the shorter tubing.

1 Like

Poor Caleb is currently using a pink mio inset with 18 in tubing. He wears a shirt and bow tie to school every day. We need to be creative here until we get into the swing of things! lol

1 Like

Yep. Need to disconnect.

1 Like

I use 33 in tubing, it is plenty long to tuck into your shorts and back up and out. Longer tubing has an added advantage of allowing you to drop trouser when it is necessary to visit the porcelain throne without yanking out your set.

1 Like

I’ve been hesitant to raise that issue, but its a logistical one I’ve wondered about, so thanks!!! :wink: